LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

Someone ask me on several times to marry m we were making

Customer Question

someone ask me on several times to marry him we were making plans but had a long distant relation .him being in fl. , we made several plans .,and it is documented that I am his intended in the system . I was listed as his person of contact. I did many things for him .and now without any reason he is not communicating with me. do i have a case
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: there was a ring involved but he stop making payments due to hard times he said just stop communicating with out any reason.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unfortunately, no state in the US presently allows a suit for breach of promise to marry, and as such there is no cause of action that you have for having been promised marriage now that this person has ceased communicating with you.

However, if you loaned him money with the agreement that he would repay you, then you may sue him for breach of contract and seek to collect the repayment of any bone fide loan that you made to him.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

I deleted the other question you posted so that you don't have to pay a second time.

You asked: doesen't florida still have a breech of promise law?

Florida eliminated the breach of promise to marry many years ago and the cause of action no longer exists. Fla. Stat. § 771.01 (2005)

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

If I have already provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,