How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 32339
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1 my husband is a drug addict addicted to Rx pain meds.

Customer Question

1 my husband is a drug addict addicted to Rx pain meds. Since he can't get those any more he now is getting the anti-depressant med and is taking those.
#2 back in March after an emergency stay in the hospital for OD on the anti-depressant (it causes damage to the heart) the doctor said no more to that drug. It makes him very sleepy and causes the ammonia levels to rise which makes him not function in every way you can thrink of.
#3 Having been thru 4 rehabs and me thru the Betty Ford Ctr Family program and being told to "let go" - not toe "rescue" our addict:
#4 what do I do? let him keep taking the drugs to the point of finding him dead one day and if I do that will I be charged with manslaughter or neglect?Just since last Thursday at the doctor's we found out he has had several TIAs (strokes) but at the time I didn't know he had gotten more of the anti-depressants. I caught him last nite, after he went to bed in which he could barely make, he got up as was about to take the pills. I took them away and thru them in the garbage. Today I came back from shopping and found he had gone in the garbage and took all the pills out and put them in with some vitamins. I can throw these out as well but come Monday he'll find a way to get some more. What is my recourse?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what recourse do I have", "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Based on the above scenario could I be charged with manslaughter or neglect if I don't take my husband to emergency when he overdoses on drugs?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 months ago.

You could be if you didn't take him or call the police/911

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you that's all I need to know
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 months ago.

You're very welcome.

Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.