Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

My girlfriend is going into labor and she may have come up

Customer Question

My girlfriend is going into labor and she may have come up positive for illegal/unprescribed drugs.. What can i do, or not do/say, to ensure minimal resistance to my girlfriend and i taking the baby home with us, with little to no hassle.. Please Help.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that. Any chance it is a false positive? If they refuse to let you take the baby home then you may want to have an attorney on standby who specializes in family law and criminal law. If CPS or police get involved say you will only talk to them with your lawyer present.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is there a possibility of her singing over her custodial rights before the baby is delivered?? any other suggestions? we don't have money or an attorney..
Courts usually will not terminate parental rights on an unborn child but when the child is born yes she could give you sole custody through a court filing and order.
There are agencies like adoption agencies and legal aid that can assist.
In California you also have family law advisors in the courthouse who can also guide you to the correct paperwork that would need to be filed.