Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My sister had guardianship over my mom. Mom died in June. I

Customer Question

My sister had guardianship over my mom. Mom died in June. I hope my sister is in no trouble. But I recently learned her guardianship has not been closed and no inventory nor accounting has been done these past 5 years. Is my sister ok?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes he was the one that gave me the information. But I did not understand what he was talking about and now I am worried
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: None yet. I am trying to get my sister to split moms property that we jointly owned. That how I found out
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I want to know if my sister did not turn in her inventory each year she is not in trouble with the court? I hope not as I only wanted her to let me sell my share of the property
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Arkansas
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Whether or not your sister has an issue depends on whether the guardianship order from the court requires annual accountings. If so, then your sister is going to have to go back and generate accountings for ever year that an accounting is required.....this generally can be done with bank statements, bills of sale, etc. But, if the guardianship waives annual accountings (or any accountings) -- which is fairly common -- then she's got no issue.