Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

Can I get a copy of my wife's text messages if I pay the

Customer Question

Can I get a copy of my wife's text messages if I pay the bill?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No yet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, no, even though you pay the bill and even if it were for your phone and not your wife's phone, legally the cell company will require a subpoena from a court to release the information. To get a subpoena, you must have a lawsuit of some type filed Furthermore, cell companies, unlike on television shows, rarely have text message content available for more than 30 days and all they can send you would be the phone numbers that contacted the phone and not the content of the text messages.