FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

A man contacted my family last week saying he believes to be

Customer Question

A man contacted my family last week saying he believes to be my half brother. My father may have had an affair 40 years ago. His request is for me to do a DNA test, he purchased it on line and will return it to this online lab. I realize it is just a mouth swab but now I am concerned there is more risk than benefit. Can he use that DNA in a crime and smear my saliva at the scene? What if it is some bizarre scheme to get my DNA for another reason? Is there a more protected way to get DNA results? He just paid his $100 and they sent him a kit. His story matches up but it is all a little too bizarre to me at the moment. What are the risks of giving a stranger your DNA saliva sample?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. There is no way to know what he is going to do with it, so if you are willing to see if the claim is true, you can go to a testing facility where they control the sample and will not release it to him. There are places you can go to submit a sample and be tested, so you are not just giving this person your DNA, if you think they may use it for some other reason.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.