Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney

I am 17 yrs old and I currently live in Tennessee with my

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** am 17 yrs old and I currently live in Tennessee with my dad. I want to move to Texas with my mom.,but don't want either of us to get in trouble. I am not sure what I need to do or even how to do it. Can you please get back with me, I am visiting for summer vacation and I am supposed to go home July 19th. I do not want to go back to Tennessee. Can my dad make me go back?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, a person under 18 is considered a minor child and does not get to decide as to which parent she would reside and the only way to get the custody / residency modified is if the non-custodial parent (father) files petition with the court that had ordered child custody in the first place to modify custody /residency and the court orders change or residency after review.

The good news is, when person turns 18, then the person gets to decide where to live, however, if the minor child refuses to go back to the custodial parent, then such child can be declared a runaway and can in fact be detained by the police and police can force the child to move back with the residential parent.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.