RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Estate Planning Law---How can I get a simple 3-5 pages of

Customer Question

Estate Planning Law---How can I get a simple 3-5 pages of changes to my "Living Trust" without a lawer charging $3-4,000 for minor amendments to a ridiculously long Trust written in too many legal terms.
I live in the East Bay of San Francisco near 94596. Can I do it myself with Legal Zoom? I would rather have an Attorney make the small changes for $400-500!!!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

An attorney is not required to amend the trust agreement if you don't wish to use one. You can use an online site (I don't believe Legal Zoom offers it, but others, like Rocket Lawyer do) to prepare an amendment to the trust at low cost. A trust amendment --even if prepared by a lawyer --should not cost anywhere in the area of $3,000-$4,000. If there are a large number or significant changes to the trust that need to be made, sometimes a lawyer will want to make a "Restatement of Trust", but even that is around the $1500-$1800 price range for many estate planning lawyers. Of course legal fees vary by expertise, experience and geographic location, so you may be getting higher price quotes just based on where you live.

You may wish to check with another attorney to compare what they may charge. Here is a list of county bar association lawyer referral services within California. Your county bar association may be able to help you find a lawyer in your area. Alternatively, you can call the California Bar at(###) ###-#### You can also check a site like www.avvo.com for lawyers -that site has lawyer reviews and ratings from both other lawyers and former clients.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you!

Did you need any clarification or additional information regarding my answer?