RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I am seeing a divorce. My "ex" and I have been separated

Customer Question

I am seeing a divorce. My "ex" and I have been separated for a decade, and have had zero contact. For 8 years. I would like to resolve this now, and move on. There are no children involved, and no property. The only fly in the ointment is I have no idea where she might be. Georgia or Tennessee being most likely. This would be uncontested, if there is no simpler way to resolve this. Although simplest would be best for me.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

The forms you will need can be found on the Colorado Courts website. To file for divorce, you can follow the instructions here. You can follow steps 1-3. Because your ex cannot be located, however, instead of doing personal service, where the suit for divorce would be served upon them, you'll need to do what is called "service by publication." Service by publication first requires that you show the court you conducted a diligent search to locate them -e.g., searching for them on social media, contacting former friends and family, employers, etc. You'll also have to file a notice of publication notifying them of the divorce in a local newspaper once per week for 5 weeks. Full instructions on how to request service by publication and the motion and order to the court for service by publication can be found here.

While this is understandably a bit more complicated and will take more time than if your ex's location was known, the upside is that presumably, they will not see the notice of publication or answer it, and after the 5 week publication period, the court can enter an order for divorce.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you!

Was there anything I could clarify for you, or did you need additional information about any part of my answer?