LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

Divorced in 2001 - lake county illinois. We did a self

Customer Question

divorced in 2001 - lake county illinois. We did a self agreed divorce. Nothing in the decree about paying for college for kid or any other costs. i had an allotment started from my military pension started when our divorce was final. been that way for 15 years. son graduated last month. I stopped the allotment because he is done with school and moving on to college. my ex spouse is starting to want me to pay for this, what should i do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 5 months ago.

Was there court ordered child support and if so, was there a termination date?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Yes, but it was by allotment started. No garnishment nor was child services involved. No end date that I remember on the decree. Very basic form.

OK; Illinois is one of a few states that will require the payment of child support until a termination order is entered.

http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentID=5704

That form is here

The court does have the ability to order payment of tuition for college but generally they will only do so if the order was initially entered (ie in the original divorce decree).

They will not order retroactive support, as they only have the authority to make an order retroactive to the date it was filed.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

checking in on the above; thank you for using Just Answer; enjoy the holiday weekend.