How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36233
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being sued by a creditor. I use to live in texas but

Customer Question

i am being sued by a creditor. I use to live in texas but now North carolina. I moved before getting served. Now the case says Citation Returned Unserved OCA Inactive. Can I still be served in NC through Texas courts?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.


Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Can I still be served in NC through Texas courts?


If you are being sued for a debt you incurred, then the creditor will have to come to your state and sue you there in order to get personal jurisdiction over you. However if you were to return to the state and they served you while you were there, then you could be compelled to return and defend the case.


If they mail you a summons in another state, then that is not considered proper legal service and you would not be compelled to return to court in the other state.





Related Family Law Questions