Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I am being sued by a creditor. I use to live in texas but

Customer Question

i am being sued by a creditor. I use to live in texas but now North carolina. I moved before getting served. Now the case says Citation Returned Unserved OCA Inactive. Can I still be served in NC through Texas courts?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can I still be served in NC through Texas courts?

.

If you are being sued for a debt you incurred, then the creditor will have to come to your state and sue you there in order to get personal jurisdiction over you. However if you were to return to the state and they served you while you were there, then you could be compelled to return and defend the case.

.

If they mail you a summons in another state, then that is not considered proper legal service and you would not be compelled to return to court in the other state.

.

.

thanks