Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

I just need to know what forms I need to prepare to legally

Customer Question

I just need to know what forms I need to prepare for her to legally change her name or what court proceedings may be involved. In assumption she will voluntarily sign.
My other thought was to legal vacate her adoption, even though she is technically an adult
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

.

An adult name change isn't a "fill out a form and submit it" kind of thing... It requires the person who wants the name change to fill out an petition for an adult name change and file it with the court. Then the clerk schedules an actual hearing where the person appears in court and explains to the judge why they want to change their name. As long as it isn't to avoid creditors or evade law enforcement, the judge will then approve it and enter a formal legal order for the name change. That order is then forwarded to the Dept of Vital Statistics to amend the birth certificate.

.

This is a link to the entire process with forms: NY Adult Name Change.

.

But you can't "vacate" an adoption as they are permanent...

.

.

thanks