LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney

My ex and I got a divorce in March and in the paperwork, it

Customer Question

My ex and I got a divorce in March and in the paperwork, it states that he is to pay 725.00 every month, first month he paid the amount. But, in this month he still owes 450.00 and he has not contact me through, email, text or phone. The paperwork also says that every other Friday through Sunday he is to have the girls. Which since the divorce he has not seen them once, nor made an effort. I have to take the next step to make these things to happen, but don't know how to go about it.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 4 months ago.

Is the monthly support child support or spousal?

Also is this via a court order or a settlement agreement?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is child support and it is divorce papers that were summit through the court

Thank you;

So there is a process called "contempt" - basically that involves a knowing and willful violation of a court order; the court order can order the person to comply with the court order, and if they fail, then the court can do the following, called sanctions: fine the party daily, award the other party attorney fees and costs, order jail time until the party complies.

From a visitation perspective, the court won't force an unwilling parent to spend time with their child; but the court can modify the visitation order (or terminate it) if a parent consistently fails to exercise visitation (the idea being that the endless waiting is emotionally damaging and very hurtful to the child).

If the visitation is modified or terminated, that can actually result in an increase of child support (if, for example, it causes the case to change from joint custody to primary physical custody).

One moment please.

This department will assist in enforcing child support orders:

The state can do the following for nonpayment:

garnish wages

put a lien on property

intercept tax refunds

not renew a passport.

Here are forms for the contempt process

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 3 months ago.

checking in on the above; thank you for using Just Answer!