Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

I have a 15 year old daughter. Her father walked out of her

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old daughter. Her father walked out of her life when she was 4 months old. I am currently married and have been since she was 1year old. My daughter calls my husband dad and knows nothing about the person who abandoned her.
He has recently contacted me and insists on meeting her. I told him that I would reveal to her that her dad is not biologicaly related to her and that at that point whatever she decides i
I will support. He is now insisting on meeting her as soon as possible. We feel like she is not emotionally ready to handle this revelation right now. I haven't received a penny from him since he left. What are my rights?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Without a visitation order in place, you have no obligation to make your daughter available to her birth father for visitation.

He would need to petition the family court for visitation and the court would determine the appropriate manner in introducing him into his daughter's life. It would certainly involve evaluations by professional counselors and the payment of support. It is also possible that after so much time has passed the court would decline his petition as being too traumatic to your daughter.

Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.