FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

I married and I just found out im still married to ex

Customer Question

I married and I just found out im still married to ex husband filed a divorce last week to divorce him it takes two weeks for them to process divorce can I go to jail
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No just filed for divorce
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No filed for no fault divorce
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. No, this is not something you will go to jail for. However, it may result in your current marriage being void, since you were not divorced at the time you married your current husband. As such, you may need to have your current marriage annulled and then once the divorce is final, remarry.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.