LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

I received a notice stating I was no longer obligated to pay

Customer Question

I received a notice stating I was no longer obligated to pay support, however I still owe back support. How can I find out how much more I owe and how long I will continue to pay support? The "children" are 25 and 22 years old. The original agreement was to pay until they reached 18, or 25 IF they were living with their mother and attending school. Both women have graduated school, work full time and haven't lived with their mother in years. Back 2012, I won some money in the lottery and at that time, the obligation should have been fulfilled, but 4 years later, Mass. DOR / CSE is taking $690 / month from my Social Security Disability Payment.I have reached out to DOR / CSE multiple times and have yet to receive a response.
Not only have these children grown into women, one is engaged to be married and other other is living with her ex-stepfather.
Their mother has remarried twice in the last 14 years.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 5 months ago.

Please see subsection 2 of the attached statute:

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXVII/Chapter119A/Section6

Basically the department must send statements to the obligor at least once a year, stating the amount currently due for child support.

If the department has failed to do so (and calls to the supervisor goes unreturned) one can check online for an accounting:

http://www.mass.gov/dor/child-support/parent-to-pay-support/

If nothing has been set up online, one can then motion the court, for an order that requires the department to provide an accounting. Normally when legal action is imminent the department will provide the requested information because the involved agents will generally have a report in their file for failing to comply with the statute.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

If the notice stated there were no arrears, then one can contest the garnishment itself (but not if the notice simply states current child support has been terminated, but arrears exist).

Checking in on the above; Thank you for Using Just Answer!