RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

Wife has filed divocre papers. I guess they will be

Customer Question

Hello, wife has filed divocre papers. I guess they will be delivered soon. Has attorney and judge I guess sigfned these orders I will get. They for now until the divorce is finalized asks for 1000 child support(1 ten year old gilr). I make 113K a year. As well she will aks to be primary custodian, but would allow me two days each week and every other weekend. I think the hearing is Wednesday and my first consulation is not until Friday, with a law firm I found.The terms are not bad in general, I have many more for the finalized figures we need to agree too. My questions are for now.
1) In signing this, if I agree to these temporary measures, am I locked or could their lawyer use it against me for the final divorc documents.? Other words, I might file for joint custodial, think I would have a good case, but agreeing to her primary for now, can that hurt me? And second, in general, if this court order reads ok for now, is it ok to sign off on? Not saying I would contest it, but never been divorced and without consulation, makes me nervous I am getting into trouble? The heavy duty stuff is all to come. Paul
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 5 months ago.

Hi Paul and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

Sorry you are having to go through all of this.Nothing here has yet to be approved by a judge.

1) In signing this, if I agree to these temporary measures, am I locked or could their lawyer use it against me for the final divorce documents.?

I wouldn't agree to anything without a lawyer.While they say these are temporary all too often they end up being how it is in final decree.So your own lawyer here now before you agree to anything is in your interest.Ask the court for a short continuance of the case so that you can seek to hire a lawyer to protect you here.

Other words, I might file for joint custodial, think I would have a good case, but agreeing to her primary for now, can that hurt me? And second, in general, if this court order reads ok for now, is it ok to sign off on?

This is not good to give this up even on a temporary basis, again too often the other side will then drag it out for awhile and argue this should be made permanent.You can ask for and receive joint custody.I wouldn't agree to anything until your lawyer can negotiate a better joint custody deal.This would be hard to change at final hearing.You want to negotiate here and now.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again and the best.

Lawyer referral

To request a free referral, contact us at
1(###) ###-####or *****@******.***