TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

In the Marital Settlement Agreement, there is a section

Customer Question

In the Marital Settlement Agreement, there is a section about College Expenses. A mediator advised that it would be best to delineate how the expenses will be split up i.e. 50-50 even now when the children are not yet going to college. Another attorney is suggesting that "it is reserved" and thus should not be defined now. Reserved by whom? Could you please explain to me what this means and why I am getting differing opinions on the subject. If I want something put into the MSA that allows for the same 50-50 split language as all other expenses, is there any law or rule in family law that explicitly prohibits me from doing so? Please advise soon
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Q: Reserved by whom? Could you please explain to me what this means and why I am getting differing opinions on the subject.

A: It would be reserved for the future, to be decided by a judge unless you two can come to an agreement in the future. You could be getting differing opinions depending on who the attorney represents. The mediator is suppose to be a fair objective party, while the attorney may be representing on of you, and if so, then he's going to suggest what he thinks is best for his client.

Q: If I want something put into the MSA that allows for the same 50-50 split language as all other expenses, is there any law or rule in family law that explicitly prohibits me from doing so?

A: No, there is no law that says that you two can't agree on that now. You certainly have that option.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!