Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

I am from a blended family. Mt husband died almost 2 years

Customer Question

I am from a blended family. Mt husband died almost 2 years ago. His three daughters had not much to do with him. I purchased the cemetery plots. They continue to put large items there to cover up my name. Can I legally remove them. I live in iowa
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you saying that the daughters are putting things on the cemetery plots that you purchased?

.

Do the cemetery records show you as the legal owner of them?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
they are putting large fake flowers to cover my name. They put up a flag that reads worlds best dad. Problem is they didn't let him be their dad when he was alive. My name is ***** ***** name on plots

Ok, then this is considered your privately owned property and the daughters have zero legal right to put anything on the plots...you own them. So you are completely within your legal rights to take anything that they put on your cemetery plots and dispose of it in the nearest trash can if you choose to do so as they are trespassing on your privately owned property.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When the headstone first arrived the one daughter called the headstone place said she was someone else, but called on her phone. Said the picture I used was a copyright and the headstone needed to be destroyed. We did cattle so I used a landscape with cattle in it. The monument place drew it up
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If they call the cops do I just show the cops my deed?

.

Yes. you can just show them the deed and explain that you have no idea who is trespassing on your property and leaving this trash on your land, but you do not want it there.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Umm the flag has pictures of the daughters so I do know it is them. They will make a big stink. Am I still within my rights?

Right, but you have no idea who put it there... You can put a picture of me on the site but that doesn't mean that I put it there..

.

And yes, the thing that they seem to be missing is that you own the plots...not them. They have no legal right to put anything on your property without your permission as that is a trespass to property.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Even in a cemetery the lands keeper said to me well it is family, but not really to me....

The groundskeeper doesn't have any formal legal training under the law I will bet... So I wouldn't put too much stock on what they say... It is your land and you have the right to determine who and what is on it..

.

.

thanks