How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe over 2500 in arrears and I need to get my passport a 3

Customer Question

I owe over 2500 in arrears and I need to get my passport for a a 3 day trip for a job offer coming up in China! Im on disability. Just approved. And I get 486 a month! What can I do!!!
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Va
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not as of yet. But in the process
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I was ruled sick as of September 2011.. just approved this year. I was never able to work. They started me off at 331 a month which I never made that amount of money to do so. Now I'm behind and I only make 486 a month. I have a lucrative job offer in China in August and it requires me to get a passport.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn of this situation, unfortunately the answer is both very clear, and fairly inflexible. You must work with the state that issued the child support order to come up with a payment plan in order to deal with the arrears in order to get your passport issued.

(There really isn't any way around this requirement).

Here is an overview of the process (and the timeline) from the Department of State:

You can try contacting the state and seeing if they are willing to accept a payment plan or some other surety in order to allow you to have your account be deemed current (remember, the Department of State only requires that your name be removed from the state list, so you have to work out a deal with them - the state is not very flexible, so don't expect a lot, but you can try).

You also say that your new employer is willing to compensate you very well, you may be able to get an advance or loan from them that will allow you to pay this arrearage and clear your name from the list. (Keep in mind, there will still be a delay in getting your passport as detailed in the link above).

Related Family Law Questions