RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

I adopted my brothers kids from, DC and we moved to Florida.

Customer Question

I adopted my brothers kids from Washington, DC and we moved to Florida. This was done through CPS which he volunteer gave up his parental right. Also, we made a agreement on the side that as long as I say so he can see his kids. I had them for 5 years and I decided to let him send the kids to school this past year. He done such a good job with them I want to give him back his kids. I live in Florida and he lives in Washington, D.C.
How can we do this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

He would need to file for adoption here where he is located.The parental rights were terminated here so an adoption is needed.He will need a Washington DC lawyer and lawyer will prepare a consent and waiver of service for you to sign.This is not something he can do on is own he will need a lawyer.It is tricky sine his rights were terminated once.

Lawyer referral

http://www.lawhelp.org/dc/organization/dc-lawyer-referral-service-bar-association-of/employment/domestic-violence-employment?ref=O1rpx

The children will need to return to DC for the hearing here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks and the best to all here..