LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

My ex wife filed of marriage over 4 years ago. To make a

Customer Question

My ex wife filed for dissolution of marriage over 4 years ago. To make a long story short, neither of us has legal representation any longer. I have done my best in obtaining final dissolution of marriage with the courts, but all she has done is drag her feet as a means of remaining on my medical (we have no real assets to speak of, no eligibility for spousal support, no custody or child support issues to sort out). I was able to get a judge to bifurcate the marriage last year. But the judge specified that was "status only". The final dissolution of marriage is still unresolved. In fact, the judge stated that until this happens, my ex is to remain on my medical insurance. I will literally get in trouble if I even imply to my insurance company that we are divorced, bifurcated, separated, etc which might result in them taking her off the policy. She literally laughs in my face at the courthouse telling me what a sucker I am. That she's got the perfect set up. No obligation, but still insured. My question is this - plain and simple. Is this insurance fraud? I have spoken to the legal department at my insurance company and was told they cannot do anything until there's an order from a judge. I'm doing my best to get this divorce finalized. But she isn't doing a thing. With no legal experience or representation, limited time and nothing financially (she left me in ruins, turned our adult daughter against me, etc), I'm doing my best. I'm also an emotional mess due to what she's done to our daughter, which doesn't help...
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You asked: My question is this - plain and simple. Is this insurance fraud? No, it is not insurance fraud so long as you have spoken to the legal department at my insurance company and made them aware of your marital status. You are not at any risk of being criminally charged with insurance fraud in this circumstance.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug