Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

I just want to ask questions in regards to getting the

Customer Question

I just want to ask questions in regards ***** ***** the custody of my 3 grandchildren that is in a foster home at this time.
JA: Custody issues can be tough for everyone involved. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. The attorneys can certainly help with this, and I'd love to connect you with the one who's the best match.
Customer: are you transferring me to another person?
JA: No. I'm the Family Lawyer's Assistant.
Customer: I have to go soon. I need to know if i can have someone to help me right away with the situation.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no not yet. I spoke with the case agent that is in charge of my grandchildren case. I was told that it will take 6 mos. to process. They are in California right now and i'm in Arkansas. So my question is , is there a way to expedite the process/ They have also a maternal grandparents that live in California and they were told that they have to be in the same county. I was wondering if how do they take request and who has the priority to have the children?
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The mother of the children is in prison for possession of drugs and another felony of some sort defrauding a department store.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note: (1) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; and (2) I answer most questions within the hour. However, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and JA’s site disclaimers presented to you earlier.

1. They have also a maternal grandparents that live in California and they were told that they have to be in the same county.

A. Who told them this and in the same county as what?

B. Are the maternal GPs also wanting custody?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They're not sure if they can accommodate them.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Q. I was wondering if how do they take request and who has the priority to have the children?

Answer:

While a child is in foster care, the state of CA has custody. It continues to maintain custody if the court terminates parents’ rights. As a grandparent, you would initiate guardianship proceedings to have legal custody of the child now instead of the State of CA. Relatives are usually given preference because the court wants a secure, permanent home for the child.

Guardianship proceedings usually begin with the filing of a petition with the court then serving notice of the petition on all interested parties. You must serve notice on the social worker or case worker and the state government rather than the child's parents because the parents' rights are already terminated.

Read this information so you learn the terminology that you will be dealing with.

Read this so you understand what is going on while the child is under the foster care system.

Here is a link to the free forms to file if you want to establish a guardianship.