Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

My 24 year old daughter passed away in Janaury 2016., she

Customer Question

My 24 year old daughter passed away in Janaury 2016., she had a life insurance policy through work with no beneficary listed. I received a letter from the provider KPERS stating I am to get 9000.00 due to me being her mother and 9000 to go to her dad, we are divided. He is trying to force me to give my money to whom he wants due to the fact have a felony on my record. I have not yet got any money can be keep me from getting it?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

The fact that you have a felony has no bearing on you being a beneficiary of daughter's insurance proceeds. So your ex has zero chance of keeping you from getting that money.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it's been since Jan. I have sent death certificate and still no,money so was concerned he is doing something, and suggestions

Ok, if she had no beneficiary listed, then the money would typically go to her estate and someone would have to file a probate case to settle her estate. Then if she had no will, her parents, you and the ex, would split her estate evenly.

.

However, some insurance companies state in their policies that if there is no named beneficiary that there is a predetermined beneficiary like parents or a spouse.

.

So I would suggest contacting the insurer directly and asking them what their policy is....does the money go directly to the parents or does it go to daughter's estate and they will be able to tell you.

.

.

thanks