LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

I am middle of divorce. My lawyer chose applet court

Customer Question

I am middle of divorce. My lawyer chose applet court attorney for maintenance issue. Judge made desition and order " no maintenance after judgement of divorce " but later this new judge admitted that that was wrong discition. Judge awarded 100% what my lawyer asked $20,000 for applet court lawyer. We have to make before 7/06/16, we have not done, but my lawyer asking more money from me for another $10,000 or more for printing. Is this genuin fees? I asked my lawyer that since judge awarded 100% what we asked that was this applet court attorney was asking for, he should take the case for $20,000, if not my lawyer's responsibility to find one and make appeal on time without delay. Am I wrong? I should pay another $10,000? My lawyer emailed me that he might make application for withdraw my case. Then I have a big problem, dead line is 7/06/16, and damaging my reputation.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 8 months ago.

I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience, and I'd like to assist you for informational purposes. I wonder if part of the money is to pay for services that your lawyer has already provided. If the only thing that your attorney has to do is printing, the $10,000 seems high if there are not hundreds of thousands of pages. You need to ask your lawyer to specify exactly what else needs to be done in the case and what the $10,000 is expected to pay for.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My lawyer said for printing. My lawyer is awarded $50,000 and he charged me another $8,000 in one year. We have simple case, no child. What I wanted to know is that normal practice to charge me extra as printing fees ?
Normally how much?

That is high for just printing unless there are boxes and boxes and boxes to copy. In my office, we charge 25 cents a page. I have seen some offices charge 50 cents a page.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is normal practice to charge extra for printing fees after he told me $20,000 for apeal?

That should be covered in your attorney/client contract. You should have a signed contract with this attorney that spells all of this out. It should say if you were paying a flat fee, or if you are paying by the hour, it should also say how much you pay for printing and copying. You should ask your attorney for a copy of your contract with him.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have contract with my attorney and with my attorney about one year, but not applet court attorney. I don't think I have contract. We are start doing because dead line is 7/06/16. Court awarded $20,000 - 25,000, but my spouse is withholding payment.

Well, I know that appellate work is very expensive, and so that might be what you are paying for in the additional $10,000. You need to know exactly what your money is paying for, and the only way you will be able to determine that is by having a discussion with your attorney. I do not think that the $10,000 is for just printing or copying. It sounds like there is a lot of legal work being done. If I have answered your question, would you please be able to give me a positive rating?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please list my qetion to other lawyer. It seems repeating same qetion.
Thank you
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 8 months ago.

Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. My practice is limited to family law and appeals, but I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, contract law, and other types of law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

At the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me as that's the only way I get credit for my time here today. Are you okay with rating me at the end of our discussion? Thanks! I work very hard for you—to make sure you

I am an appellate attorney so I can help you with your question, okay?

Expert:  LegalGems replied 8 months ago.

Did you still need assistance on this question? If so please restate your question here, and I will do my best to get you this information. Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Answered too late. Please do not charge.