Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My ex husbands wife recorded us in my house through the

Customer Question

My ex husbands wife recorded us in my house through the front door without telling me. She used a cell phone from a parked car in front of my house. Is tgis legal?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No, it is not. Or rather, it is arguably not. A person cannot be taped where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Now, what "reasonable expectation of privacy" means is subjective and is on a case by case basis. It includes things like whether or not the screen is clear glass or not, whether you were talking with someone on the porch at the time, etc.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.