Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.

Can child support debit my bank account without my

Customer Question

can child support debit my bank account without my permission
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 months ago.

This is Samuel. I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. Yes, unfortunately the bank account can be garnished. The reason is because there is already a court order in place for the child support and if a parent defaults on those payments, then the wages and and/or bank accounts and other assets are garnished.

I wish it was better news. But a parent who is under court order to pay and they default will have a garnishment.

Additionally, Indiana also has the same limits as federal law on what can be taken from your paycheck for this type of wage garnishment. Up to 50% of your disposable earnings may be garnished to pay child support if you are currently supporting a spouse or a child who isn't the subject of the order. If you aren't supporting a spouse or child, up to 60% of your earnings may be taken. An additional five percent may be garnished for support payments over 12 weeks in arrears.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.