Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I need to know if there are any laws in the District of

Customer Question

I need to know if there are any laws in the District of Columbia that address common law spouses.
I have been living with someone who I am not married to for over a decade and I need to know what to anticipate if/when we separate. We do not have any children together and the only financial connection we have is they are an authorized user on one of my credit cards.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Have you ever agreed to be married to each other?

.

Do you hold yourselves out to others as husband and wife?

.

Do you file your taxes separately?

.

How about banking....keep your accounts separate?

.

Do you rent or own?

.

If you own, who is on the deed to the property?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I gave her a ring in the 80's

Not really- our friends and family know that we have never married

No joint filing of taxes or any other financial matters

No comingling of funds- we have separate accounts

I own several properties, all of which are in my name only.

Ok, then I think that you would not meet the legal requirements in DC to be considered common law married. In order to have a valid common law marriage in DC, a couple must intend to be married, must live together for a significant period of time, and must hold themselves out as a married couple.

.

If you never introduced each other as "my wife" or "my husband" when meeting people and there was no agreement between the two of you to consider yourselves married, then you are simply a couple in a long term dating relationship or at best, ***** ***** fiance's who simply never formalized your relationship into a marriage.

.

.

thanks