originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

I have 2 children that I am paying child support on

Customer Question

I have 2 children that I am paying child support on currently. However, my oldest turned 18 in April and has now graduated High School. My ex had a withholding order placed with my employer in January ( I don't know why...I have always paid my child support on time and in full) which is fine with me but per my final divorce decree once my child turns 18 and has graduated High School I no longer have an obligation to pay child support or Insurance to his mother for that child. How do I go about changing the withholding order to correct this issue?
-Thad in TX
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 5 months ago.

You take a copy of your divorce decree (it should clearly state when child support ends for each child) to your HR department and that should be sufficient. They have to follow the decree. If that's not enough, you can contact the OAG office in your area and ask them to issue an updated withholding order.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How will my HR department know how much the new deduction will be? I am still paying for one of my children for 2 more years. Will they just cut the standard deduction in half??

If your decree doesn't state what the new amount should be, you'll have to go through the OAG. In Texas, you pay 25% of your take home income for two kids, and 20% for one, so your support doesn't go down by half. The below link is a good place to start.

https://texasattorneygeneral.gov/faq/cs-frequently-asked-questions-about-child-support-modifications