LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

My husband is showing signs of dementia and may need to be

Customer Question

My husband is showing signs of dementia and may need to be committed to a nursing home in the near future as it is gradually getting worse. We live in CT. What would happen to our home which we do not have a mortgage on.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 5 months ago.

I am very sorry to hear this;

Fortunately the federal and state governments have enacted exemptions to the estate recovery process to exempt certain property when there is a spouse:

I found this very detailed guide of exempt assets which include the primary residence when the other spouse resides in that home:

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/rpt/2012-R-0057.htm

If one wishes to read the public policy considerations behind the law exempting the marital residence, that information is here:

http://www.americanbar.org/newsletter/publications/gp_solo_magazine_home/gp_solo_magazine_index/medicaremediaidssi.html

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Checking in to see on the above.

Thanks for using JA!