RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

My girlfriend is dying of cancer. She wants to die at home

Customer Question

My girlfriend is dying of cancer.
She wants to die at home and her daughter
which said no and wants to move her to hospice
facilities. Barbara has a good sound mind and has said
she does not want to be moved. Her daughter has the power of attorney
for medical decisions. Barbara and me are not married and we have
been together for 20 years I have no legal say so, or I think I don't.
What do we need to do to keep her here at home?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question this evening. I am so very sorry to hear about your girlfriend.

As she is still of sound mind, your girlfriend can revoke the POA for healthcare naming her daughter --she can do this simply by sending her a letter (with tracking or certified) that she wishes to revoke the POA, effective immediately. She may also want to read the POA first, because normally you use the healthcare POA to appoint someone as a surrogate, when you are incapable of making decisions for oneself (e.g., a person might need someone to make healthcare decisions for them if they are in a coma). If that is the case, her daughter does not get to make the decisions while your girlfriend can still make decisions for herself.

You are correct you cannot speak for Barbara, but she can also execute a new POA naming you as her surrogate when she cannot make healthcare decisions for herself. If she wants she can still name her daughter as your alternate, like backup, in the event you are unable or unwilling to serve at some point.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you.

Just following up with you today to see if you needed further help? Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you.

Was there anything additional you needed from my answer? Anything else I could clarify or more information that I could provide?