Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Spanic with dual citizenship (US and Mexico) indicted in

Customer Question

Hispanic with dual citizenship (US and Mexico) indicted in 2013 in US Federal Court, resided in Mexico, arrested in Mexico in 2016 by Mexican authorities, taken to Border and turned over to US Marshalls. US authorities knew he was a US citizen but did not know he was also a Mexican citizen. There was no extradition or waiver. Defendant now in custody facing charges. Does not the defendant, being a Mexican citizen have a right to an extradition hearing and if not is the arrest void?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No, the arrest is not void, or at least there is nothing in the facts so far to indicate it is void.

I am a little confused though. Was the person arrested in Mexico on a charge from there or was it just on the US charge?