RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

If a noncustodial parent does not take the kids whole

Customer Question

If a noncustodial parent does not take the kids for the whole weekend does the noncustodial parent get the kids at all?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and happy to help you.

If you are asking if they lose visitation permanently, the answer is no. Courts ideally want children to have a relationship with both parents, and while they cannot force a non-custodial parent to exercise visitation it takes a lot for a court to take such extreme measures that a child loses visitation. If it happens on a repeated basis, the custodial parent can file a motion to amend the visitation agreement; a court may for repeated miss visits reduce a non-custodial parent's visitation time in such a case.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you.