TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Man owes back child support to two women. Children now are

Customer Question

Man owes back child support to two women. Children now are 22 and 19 years old from first marriage and 13 year old from second marriage. Can the two women waive the support owed to their children or is it the children's right to seek payment of arrearages ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

No, the mothers would not likely be able to waive child support. As you suggested, that is the child's right, not the mother's right.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

So then his three children would have a cause of action 4 back child support against their father? If so, they would also have a right to legally recind the order for arrearages owed, would they not?

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again.

Q: So then his three children would have a cause of action 4 back child support against their father?

A: Yes.

Q: If so, they would also have a right to legally recind the order for arrearages owed, would they not?

A: The order would not be vacated, but it can certainly be deemed as satisfied if the children so choose ... except for the 13 year old since he/she is still a minor.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need further clarification, and please remember to provide positive feedback. Thank you.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 5 months ago.