RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

My child turned 18 Last December but is having to go an

Customer Question

My child turned 18 Last December but is having to go an extra yr in secondary school cause he missed to many school days while with his mother his 9th grade yr. Now he's starting 12 grade and will be moving into an apartment provided by his mom and step dad. Do I still pay child support? Papers only say 18 or finishes secondary school or emancipated or self supporting.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 5 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You have to keep paying if he has not graduated high school.I understand he is 18 but until he graduates you still have to pay.You could not prove emancipation here if he still is in school. Hopefully this is just one more year you have to pay until he graduates.As long as he is enrolled and progressing the court will require you to pay.If he drops out or doesn't attend in t his year you can return to court and seek to terminate it.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.