Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

Going thru a divorce in Colorado. Had wife served with

Customer Question

Going thru a divorce in Colorado. Had wife served with protection order. I asked about her paying half for divorce and making arrangements to pick up property. A deputy said I cannot speak to her or text her. I said she was issued a restraining, not me. Who is right?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 months ago.

Hello there --

-

A protection order does work both ways and you are not supposed to contact your estranged spouse either although the law is not very clear on this particular point. However, once the judge reviews your case and if he/she learns that you have been trying to contact your ex despite the protection order, the judge will not be happy and may even sanction you for it. My suggestion here is that you hire an attorney or have your attorney contact your ex directly at this time and leave the matter alone, unless you want to rescind the protection order -- and I am certain that you put the protection order in place for a reason.

-

Please let me know if you have any additional questions on this issue. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section so I will be paid for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

Hello again --

-