Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

My girlfriend is 18 and under custody of the state of

Customer Question

My girlfriend is 18 and under custody of the state of Alabama we wanna get married but she is supposed to be under custody of the state till shes 21 is there a way I can marry her anyway and move her in with me
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 months ago.

Hello there --

-

Where is she living currently?

-

Generally speaking, the state only retains custody of a person over the age of 18 if they have been in trouble with the law -- is that what has happened in this case?

-

MARY

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Shes Florence AL and all I know is it was court ordered and dhr is involved im in SC I moved here recently for a job but I think she did get in some type of trouble
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
R u there I really need help

Hello there --

-

Because there are no laws against a person in her situation getting married, she should be able to get married but the state does not have to release her until the age of 21 if she is under a court order to be held in detention until she is age 21. What she did must have happened when she was a juvenile and the state can extend a juvenile sentence to the age of 21 if they wish to do so. It might help to hire an attorney in the county in Alabama where she is being held or living to look into the matter to see if there is any possibility of her being able to get released before the age of 21. If you contact the local county bar association for that county in Alabama (they are online if you perform a search you should find them easily) they should be able to put you in touch with some free or lower cost attorneys in her state so that you can look into the matter and see if there is any way that you can help her legally (the lawyer will have to review all of the files and truly needs to be in the same county where she is located to go forth and make inquiries about these matters).

-

I hope that helps. Please press a positive rating above so that I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star in the rating section above, so I really do appreciate it. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

-

MARY

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Iv been trying to contact a lawyer there for weeks and cant seem to get in touch with one can u provide a number for me to call please

Hello again --

-

You need to call the Alabama Bar Association and speak with someone directly. Ask them for the names of several criminal attorneys in that area who handle juvenile matters and they should give you several names and you can go from there

https://www.alabar.org/membership/lawyer-referral-service/

-

Please press a positive rating above so that I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star in the rating section above, so I really do appreciate it. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!