Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My son recently committed suicide. He was a senior in gh

Customer Question

My son recently committed suicide. He was a senior in High School. I am trying to find answers to so many questions. I just found out that in February of this year (2016) he wrote a suicide note and sent it to a classmate. This student notified a school councilor. The councilor notified other school personnel and the police. I was not notified by any of the above. I wish I had known. I would not have left him alone and would not have even signed up for any night classes. This previous sentence is not hind sight. He shot himself while I was in a night class. So, my question is: Did the school, the councilor(s) or the police act correctly/responsibly by the Washington State laws?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 4 months ago.

Hello there --

My God, I am so sorry to hear about this situation. Can you tell me if your son was under age 18 when this note was discovered and given to the school?