How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 39401
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife divorced me in Texas. I had to pay 3 years of

Customer Question

My wife divorced me in Texas. I had to pay 3 years of Spousal support. I only paid one year and was hospitalized. I moved out of the country to escape payments while I got well. I have now moved back to Colorado. Would it be hard for my x-wife to find me and collect past due payments? Will Colorado enforce it?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA.Ray here to help you today.

The ex here could have had contempt warrant issued if you failed to pay.Texas would have issued a pick up warrant.This kind of warrant means if you are found herein Colorado, say pulled over for a running a red light , they look up warrants and would hold you in jail until Texas comes to get you.You cannot make bail until you have seen the Texas judge and resolved it.So ti would be Colorado enforcing a Texas warrant and you going back to Texas where the divorce court was.

This is a silent situation , you would not know they have a warrant until you are pulled over and it shows in the police data base that you have one for the failure to pay, and thats assuming the ex filed contempt with the court.But thats pretty standard because lawyers know eventually if you are in the US they will get lucky and will get picked up so be real careful here.

All Colorado would do is hold you until the Texas sheriff came and got you and took you back to where the court is located.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 10 months ago.

Reference to the warrants

You can call the sheriff in Texas where this happened to see if you have warrants.

That would be a good idea..You can also check the courts file to see if she pursued this as well.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You failed to mention that there would first have to be a hearing for me to attend before an arrest warrant could be issued.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 10 months ago.

No it doesn't work that way.The other party would have ability to schedule a hearing, when you did not appear they issued the warrant if you left the country.They would have issued the warrant at that time,Again it is a pick up warrant , the effect is to bring you to court if they find you so there is no bail and you are brought to the court in Texas.I mean they have to find you here, but you should know that it is very possible.If the ex here had a lawyer there is real good chance there is such a warrant.

You have the option here to try to resolve the matter in Texas or take your chances.

Thanks again.