Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.

My husband keep referring to me as "estranged" and I am

Customer Question

My husband keep referring to me as "estranged" and I am wondering what that means.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I met with one about 6 months ago
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have been cut off from all business and personal accounts. I am VP of one business and executive director of the non-profit. I have no way to access any accounts and taxes haven't been filed for 2015. We just sold a house we were renting and my husband insists the check go into an account without my name in it (which I found out today at the bank that is not even possible since it says both of or names on the check)
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Ca
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 months ago.

Estranged just means that you're separated from each other and no longer living as man and wife

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok so if we are still living in the same house am I estranged??
Customer: replied 4 months ago. do I gain access to accounts so taxes can be filed ?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 months ago.

Yes, you can be living in the same house and still not be living as man and wife. You're in litigation.

If you're both represented by counsel, have your lawyer contact your spouses so that you get the information you need to file taxes. Otherwise, if your spouse won't give you the information, you can raise the issue in court and the judge can order that you get the data you need.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.