Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

I want to adopt my adult step son and adult step daughter :

Customer Question

I want to adopt my adult step son and adult step daughter
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: Ok
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No i just spoke with my kids about it and they want to do it
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I live in nj and the kids are in va.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you asking how to go about adopting them as adults?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
they are both in their mid 20's

Ok, if this is an adult adoption then this is covered under NJ Rule 5:11 which says that you have to file a formal petition for the adoption of the adult listing all their information. If a name change is requested, it has to be submitted as well.

.

Then a consent by your spouse if you are married agreeing to the adoption.

.

Then an affidavit basically stating that no one is being forced to do this.

.

Then there is a hearing where everyone appears, the judge asks if this is what everyone wants, then he enters the order approving the adoption.

.

This is the specific rule and requirements:

.

RULE 5:11. Action for Adoption of Adult

• (a) Complaint. In every action for the adoption of an adult, the complaint shall state (1) the name, age and place of residence of the plaintiff and the person to be adopted; (2) the name by which the person to be adopted shall thereafter be known; (3) whether the person to be adopted is possessed of any property, with a full description thereof, if any.

• (b) Written Requests to Accompany Complaint. There shall be filed with the complaint a request in writing for the adoption and, if desired, the change of name, which request shall be signed by the person to be adopted and shall be acknowledged before an officer qualified to take acknowledgements of deed.

• (c) Consent of Spouse, Civil Union or Domestic Partner. There shall be filed with the complaint a certification by any non-adopting spouse, civil union or domestic partner consenting to the adoption.

• (d) Affidavit of Verification and Non-Collusion. There shall be attached to every complaint for adoption an oath or affirmation by the plaintiff(s) that the allegations of the complaint are true to the best of the party's knowledge, information and belief, and that the pleading is made in truth and good faith and without collusion for the causes set forth therein.

• (e) Court Hearing. The court may hear the case upon the oral testimony of the parties to the action and of other persons as the court deems necessary

​The court clerk may have standard template forms for each required filing, but if not you may have to contact a local family law attorney to have them assist in drafting them.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time. And it is a pretty painless process, you just need to file the requested documents and then appear for a short hearing with the judge.

.

thanks