Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

My husband and I are applying divorce without a lawyer in

Customer Question

My husband and I are applying for uncontested divorce without a lawyer in the Collin County, Texas. We have no children and no property other than some stocks and bank balance below $30000.1. Below is a question on the original divorce petition form about discovery level
The discovery level in this case, if needed, is: (Check one box.)
Level 1. (Check here if you and your spouse have less than $50,000 in property.)
Level 2. (All other couples check here.)What is the discovery level? should it be 1 or 2 for my situation. or is it fine if we do not choose a level
how will the discovery level effect the outcome of divorce.2. If my husband serves me a legal notice, does the wait of 21 days to answer fall into waiting period of 60 days3. there is a question asking the date when we stopped living together.
Since, my husband is fine with me living until the divorce is finalized, can we leave it blank. or is it mandatory to live apart.4. After my husband has served me divorce papers officially, Can I travel out of the country. How will that effect my divorce.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 11 months ago.
Discovery levels are more relevant in a contested divorce but you can mark level 2 in case things turn ugly later. Yes the answer time of 21 days is part of the 60 day waiting period. You can also waive service. It is not mandatory that you live apart but enter the date you decided to divorce. If it is uncontested then traveling should not be an issue. Though you do need to either oresent or sign the final divorce papers after the 60 day waiting period.
Present
Happy to answer any additional questions.

A positive rating would be appreciated.

I practice in Texas so happy to answer any additional questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My husband has lived in the Collin county, Texas for last one year. I lived in the same county for last 8 months.
But my husband is on the apartment lease and I am not. I have driver licence on same address. Do we satisfy the residency requirement to file for divorce if he is the petitioner or do I need to have more proof.
you do. 6 months is the general rule.

We can also talk by phone for an additional charge if you have any specific questions.

If you could provide a rating of the assistance I would greatly appreciate it.