RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

My husband and I are seperated and moving forward with

Customer Question

my husband and I are seperated and moving forward with divorce, I currently need to purchase a new vehicle. How would this impact the procedings? Would it affect him in any way? He will not be listed on the vehicle and has signed the title for my current vehicle
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

If you have a decree of legal separation signed by a judge (NOT just a plan to do that) then arguably you have severed the community and can make financial choices without impact on the divorce. If you haven't legally separated, ideally, it would be better to wait to make a large purchase. However, if that is not possible, be sure that any of the money you might use for a down payment (or to purchase the car outright) is your own separate funds, so that your spouse cannot claim the vehicle as a marital asset.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Oitherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating.Thank you.