Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

My daughters are 14 yrs old their father and I have been

Customer Question

My daughters are 14 yrs old their father and I have been divorced for 7yrs and they have had a great relationship with their father until the past year and a half since his new girlfriend now wife came into the picture. For the last 1 1/2 years about they have felt unwelcomed and like a burden in their fathers house. His wife stays in her room does not talk to them and does various little things to make them feel unwelcome...ie no towels soap or toothpaste in tiheir bathroom and giving them attitude when they ask for those things. He and I have had many many conversations about it in my attempt to help them feel welcomed/loved in that house again. In Feb I discovered that one of my daughters was cutting herself because of this and immediately got her into counseling...all the while continuing to talk to their father and encourage him to make things better. Recently he and his wife decided to tell our daughters lies about me...that I was cyberbullng her for a year and that I have physically threatened her and they have contacted the authorities and I could go to jail. I have done NONE of it! My daughters are asking their father and ultimately his wife to go to counseling with them to work this out before they go back to his house for overnight visits but he has taken it as an ultimatum and is refusing. My daughters do not want to go to his house until they can begin to have some resolution to this situation. Since he is not willing to go to counseling with them they are asking for some time away from him and his house. He is telling them that he has a right to come and get them and they have not choice. Having one daughter that has already been cutting herself over the situation in his home I am not willing to make them go. What can I do? I have for months only encouraged them to go and talk to them to work this out but that has not worked so far.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Other than he and I have always co parented well together and have NEVER said anything bad about each other EVER. Honestly, I am shocked that he has allowed his wife too and has gone so far with this lie to tell our children he has contacted the authorities and I could go to jail.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything. If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, I am on a mobile unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response – but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. You can do one of two things: (1) You can go to court preemptively and ask the court to change the parenting scheduled as a result of the events you've described. or (2) you can allow your daughters to say that they will not go to their dad's and force HIM to go to court asking for parenting time per the parenting agreement (at which time you would be able to tell the court everything you have just told me). Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything. I would be happy to do so. If there is a delay in responding it's because I'm working with another customer or simply not at my computer - but I assure you I will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What if he chooses to contact the police if he shows up and I don't make them go?
How do the judges typically respond to a situation like this?

The police are HIGHLY unlikely to force fourteen year old children to go with a parent against their will.

Similarly, judges are highly unlikely to force teenagers to go to the house of a parent they don't wish to go to.

An eight year old - yes. A teenager? Very, very unlikely to happen.

I was wondering if you need any additional information or need me to clarify anything first. I’d be happy to do so. If you have additional questions please feel free to ask them in this thread. I want to make sure you are completely satisfied BEFORE you submit your feedback.

Hello. I noticed you have not yet submitted a rating and therefore it remains "Open" on my end. I was wondering if you need any additional information or need me to clarify anything first. I’d be happy to do so. Please do NOT provide a negative rating if you have a follow up question or need me to clarify anything - all you have to do is ask and I'll be happy to respond. If there is a delay in responding it's because I'm working with another customer or simply not at my computer - but I assure you I will respond as soon as I can.