FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

My child is 18 and wants to move to NY summer because he

Customer Question

My child is 18 and wants to move to NY for the summer because he attends Columbia
University. The problem is he saw 3 therapist in NY and none of them helped him with
his eating disorder, panic attacks and depression. He said if he stays home he will commit suicide. Do I have any legal rights as a parent?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. Who is going to pay and support him if he leave the home?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I said he will be on his own. He didn't even try to see a therapist for the last month he has been home.

Thank you for the reply. I was no sure if he was supporting himself financially. At 18 years old, he is free to leave the home. Even though he is your child and you are concerned for him, you can not force him to live at home. If h does not want to voluntarily get help and improve, that is at his discretion. At this point, if he is threatening suicide and you are concerned for his health and safety, you can call the police and report this and they could take him in and have him evaluated.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
glad I paid $64. for something I already knew!

I am happy to still work with you and answer any other questions which you may have, so please just let me know

The law does not often provide us with many options, based upon the situation, so I can only share with you information, that is correct