How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 26781
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My child is 18 and wants to move to NY summer because he

Customer Question

My child is 18 and wants to move to NY for the summer because he attends Columbia
University. The problem is he saw 3 therapist in NY and none of them helped him with
his eating disorder, panic attacks and depression. He said if he stays home he will commit suicide. Do I have any legal rights as a parent?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Who is going to pay and support him if he leave the home?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I said he will be on his own. He didn't even try to see a therapist for the last month he has been home.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. I was no sure if he was supporting himself financially. At 18 years old, he is free to leave the home. Even though he is your child and you are concerned for him, you can not force him to live at home. If h does not want to voluntarily get help and improve, that is at his discretion. At this point, if he is threatening suicide and you are concerned for his health and safety, you can call the police and report this and they could take him in and have him evaluated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
glad I paid $64. for something I already knew!
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I am happy to still work with you and answer any other questions which you may have, so please just let me know

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

The law does not often provide us with many options, based upon the situation, so I can only share with you information, that is correct

Related Family Law Questions