JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992

I need to know if there are any negative consequences to

Customer Question

I need to know if there are any negative consequences to completing the role removal form from CPS on a case that was ruled out.
JA: Custody issues can be tough for everyone involved. Fortunately, the lawyers we work with excel at providing the information you're looking for, and I excel at matching you with the one who's the best fit. For starters, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed in court yet?
Customer: no
JA: Getting accurate information is crucial, and in these situations, it's seldom "one size fits all". Are there any other pertinent details you'd like the attorney to know?
Customer: I am just trying to get an answer on what is negative effects completing the role removal form can have.
JA: Got it. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Although I worked against CPS (representing families) for a number of years and have looked through thousands and thousands of pages of their files, I'm not familiar with the "role removal form" you're talking about. Can you explain what it is? I may just know it by a different name.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There was a case that CPS ruled out against me. They sent me the Right to request a removal form to complete. Right above where I need to sign it states that "This decision may have important consequences" I just want to know what that means and if that is a negative.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 4 months ago.

You are talking about the form you use to request that the children be removed from your (or someone's) home?

Or are you talking about the request to remove the "reason to believe" finding from your file?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The form that you send in to have the case removed from your record
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not sure what "important consequences" in particular they would be talking about. Anything you put on the form would, of course, likely be admissible in a later court proceeding. In addition, it can open the case back up and allow a review by a person other than the original worker. Under the right circumstances that could have a negative consequences.

You can read more about that in the document at

That is a part of the CPS handbook. You can maneuver around in there using the menu bar, etc