CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I attempted suicide due to bad judgement. The evaluation

Customer Question

I attempted suicide due to bad judgement. The evaluation person found me to not be of threat and I could go home. But the staff and doc won't let me unless I go so a psyc hospital. What can I do to go home now?
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a lot of friends and family for my support group. As well as stuff to create a plan!
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn of this situation. What you describe is "false imprisonment" - the facility is holding you without any legal right to do so.

If they continue to refuse to allow you to leave, contact a local attorney. If you cannot afford a local attorney (you are not paying for a lengthy legal battle, just someone who will deal with the matter long enough to get you out of the facility), then contact your County Public Defender's Office (The public defender is the agency that is responsible for defending individuals in civil commitment proceedings when faced with psychiatric holds, they should be able to assist you here as well).

You should also make a complaint to the Colorado State Attorney General's Office about this conduct (they can investigate this situation and the facility's conduct), but they probably are not going to be able to help you get out of the facility immediately.