How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 26709
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I found out recently that I am the father of a 14 yr old. I

Customer Question

HI I found out recently that I am the father of a 14 yr old. I would like to know my rights pertaining to, if i have to pay any back pay support, since this just came to my acknowledgement, and what would i have to do to sign over all my rights? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. Do you want to have any relationship with the child? Also, is the mother asking you for support?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not want any relations with this Child, due to this child has had a father that has been with him since he was 3, based on what the Exhusband says. Im married with kids of my own. The ex husband took the Mother to court to remove his name off the birth certificate, in which, i was presented with papers to have a DNA test done,test came back positive. At first the Mother stated, she only wanted to find out who the childs father was, did not want anything else. Last week, was served with Support papers for a court date on July 25th.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Allow me a moment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im working right now easier for me to talk like this
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

You could try and proceed and have your parental rights terminated. However, you would need to show one or more of the following, for the Judge to have the ability to do this, assuming it is in the best interest of the child. If it is done, then your obligation to pay support should terminate as well.

Grounds for Termination of Parental Rights

To prove that there are grounds to terminate parental rights, the petitioner must prove any one of the following:

(1) The parent has abused or neglected the juvenile;

(2) The parent has willfully left the juvenile in foster care or placement outside the home for more than twelve months without making reasonable progress to rectify the conditions that led to the removal of the juvenile;

(3) The minor child has been placed in the custody of the department of social services and for six months prior to the filing of the petition, the parent has willfully failed to pay for the support of the juvenile;

(4) One parent has received custody of the minor child and the other parent has failed without justification to pay for the care, support, and education of the juvenile as required by said decree or custody agreement;

(5) The father of the minor child, born out of wedlock, has not made any attempt to establish paternity of the minor child;

(6) The parent is incapable of providing for the care and supervision of the juvenile, and the incapacity will continue fore the foreseeable future;

(7) The parent has willfully abandoned the juvenile for six consecutive months prior to the filing of the petition, or the parent has willfully abandoned an infant for sixty consecutive days prior the filing of the petition;

(8) The parent murdered, attempted to murder, or seriously harmed another child of the parent or another child residing in the home with the minor child;

(9) The parent’s rights have previously been involuntarily terminated and the parent continues to lack the ability or willingness to establish a safe home;

(10) the parent relinquished the juvenile to the department of social services for the purpose of adoption; or

(11) the parent has been convicted of a sexually violent offense that resulted in the conception of parental rights.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any rights, where i shouldnt have to pay back pay
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

If the child was previously being supported by another man and the mother made no effort to try and contact you prior to, you could object to any past due amount, since she already received support from the other man.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok is there a Number and time i can call you, when i get off, to make sure i understand everything based on NC laws/
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

You can request a phone call and a professional can accept it and respond, to go over the information you request

Related Family Law Questions