Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I signed a prenup 6 mon. ago when I got married. Everything

Customer Question

I signed a prenup 6 mon. ago when I got married. Everything he has goes to his only child, a son. Except our joint checking acct. and any money brought in after we got married. My question is that his son and daughter in law have a farm business. My husband puts in 10-14 hours a day working for this business with no pay or any interest in the business. If something happens to my husband do I have any legal compensation for the time he put in?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

My husband puts in 10-14 hours a day working for this business with no pay or any interest in the business. If something happens to my husband do I have any legal compensation for the time he put in?

.

Unfortunately, if he is simply volunteering his time, then he is basically gifting his time and labor to his son and there is no contractual agreement for him to be paid. So if he were to pass, since there is no agreement to compensate him for his time and efforts, then there would not be any legal grounds for you to pursue payment from the son.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks.

You are very welcome, even though the news is kind of lousy. For what it is worth, it might be a good idea to discuss this with husband about how he is devoting his time to his son's future but not so much with his and yours...

.

.

thanks