Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

My friend was already separated with her husband years. They

Customer Question

My friend was already separated with her husband for 16 years. They never filled a divorce or annulment, due to financial problem. Is it okay for both of them to get married again?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that if they do not get an annulment, if they are still in the Philippines, then they cannot marry again, because they are still married. So, they have to have the marriage actually terminated. It does not matter if they were separated for 16 years, that does not terminate the legal marriage, so they have to get the annulment done.